Blog Archive

Friday, December 1, 2017

IBMC #06: Mass Media

Hiya!!

Now we are on Day #06 of the marathon, and this is an interesting one. We are given three prompts and should use all three to create a story or a scene.
One is a poem, another a word, and third a picture.

Poem: In,
search of skin,
color no matter,
brighter or darker,
tell no one,
I will take someone,
Ssssshhhhh!
–  ghost, me!
Word:
Telephone


The Telephone

The sky turned pink as I sat watching the rippling lake. It was my favorite place as a child. Years later, I am amazed to see that the rustic wooden fence is still intact. 
"It is to keep the monsters away. The magical fence keeps us safe." My mother would tell me with a wink when I asked her. I would smile and laugh at her words. How good were those days when even monsters and ghosts made me smile!

My mother walked towards me, silent as to not disturb my thoughts. Little did she know that I wanted to be disturbed. 
"Is the monster still alive?" I asked her, knowing the answer.
"It doesn't die, dear." She replied in a soft voice. I nodded, staring at the pink water. The sun was down, yet the sky held on to its shade. 

"The telephone isn't working." She said. 
"I will get it repaired. No one calls anyway apart from me, and I am with you now." I told her, trying to smile. 

She shook her head. "Someone does. Once a week every Saturday night."
"Who, mother?" The tension was evident in my voice. 
"I don't know. I'm not sure if it is male or female. They always say the same thing. They are searching for human skin and threaten to take someone, anyone irrespective of their color. I am not supposed to tell anybody." She answered in a flat voice. 

I stared at her for a minute before pulling her with me. An hour later, the telephone lay at the bottom of the lake, and our stuff in the back seat of my car as we sped away, never to turn back. 


Personally, I did not plan to write a horror story but it turned out to be one, so I am letting it stay.
In case you want to read the other posts of this marathon, visit the Main Post.


2 comments:

  1. Ohh, that did turn spooky.

    Guess, deep down in waters, its very much alive. Good one.. :-)

    ReplyDelete